It's finally October. I love this month. The cooler weather, the leaves changing, pumpkin spice lattes, football. It's the perfect month. Along with all of that comes sore throat season, though. I struggled with a terrible sore throat all day, so my boss sent me home from work early. I couldn't wait to get home and curl up on my couch and be miserable because my throat is still going to hurt because I can't get an appointment with my specialist until Tuesday. Fantastic. I should probably make soup, right? Right. Soup is always the answer. I made the trek across the river (I only lost one ox and 12 pounds of salted pork) to Giant Eagle after I left work to pick up some vegetables for the chicken noodle soup I usually make. While browsing through the produce section, I stopped in front of the apples and thought, "can I put apples in my chicken soup? I'm gonna put apples in my chicken soup." So I picked up a few apples. And some green cabbage.
I also picked up some of these grapes, which appear to be on steroids.
The first thing you have to do before you can start making soup is to put on your footie pajamas. If you don't have footie pajamas, your soup won't taste as delicious. It's science. Go out and buy some now. I'll wait.
|My feet have wings!|
Heat some olive oil in a big pot over medium high heat on the stove. Throw in the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Let these cook for about 5ish minutes or so. Throw in some chopped fresh sage if you'd like. Because you love fresh sage and it makes your kitchen smell heavenly when it's cooking.
Pour in a few cartons of chicken broth over the veggies. Stir everything together.
Toss in everything else, sliced apples, chopped potato, chopped cabbage, and shredded chicken. Toss in some salt and pepper. Stir everything together. I didn't have enough chicken broth, so I threw in some apple cider to add some more liquid to the soup. Bring it to a boil and stir. Lower the heat a little bit and put a lid on the pot and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or so.
While the soup is cooking, watch Jeopardy! with your cat and eat too many cookies that you made the night before.
Once the soup is done cooking, pour it into a bowl, curl up on the couch, turn on the Monday Night Football countdown, and enjoy. When you're finished with the soup, try not to cry a little bit when you see the Pittsburgh Pirates logo at the bottom of your bowl.
Chicken Apple Soup
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 small apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cartons chicken broth (can also substitute about 3 cups of apple cider for 3 cups of broth)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery, and sage to oil. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in broth (or broth/cider combination) over the vegetables and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm.